I was so busy cooking in the last quarter of 2009, I had little time to blog. Here's a quick highlight of what I was up to between then and now:
* Hosted an epic Halloween party which included two types of punch (both with dry ice smoke), squid-ink pasta, roasted garlic with anchovy paste, and numerous other spooky bites.
* Wrote a 50,000 word novel in the month of November, using dining scenes for inspiration when I was stuck.
* Baked three different types of cookies, some chocolate chipotle brownies, cranberry sauces, green been casserole and saganaki (opa!).
* Got back on the scallops wagon six months after eating some bad ones while celebrating my 5th wedding anniversary.
* Improved my soup-fu (aka improv soup making).
* Made a halfway decent (and somewhat authentic) curry for the first time.
* Fell in love with saba nigiri (mackerel sushi).
* Re-created at home a roasted squash and bean hummus dip that I'd had at a fancy restaurant.
* Lost, then gained back, 4 pounds.
My food goals for 2010 are to:
* Consume wine or cheese older than I am
* Do another "Iron Chef" party with friends, but as a judge, not a competitor
* Master pastry crusts (I'm thinking just about the time that berries and peaches come into season).
* Eat more fish; get more creative with fish meals
* Have more fun with vegetarian food
* Find more fun and delicious local restaurants
* Enjoy food more; worry less
2010 should be a good food year.