Monday, December 17, 2007

And the award for Sugar Cookies goes to...

Me? Wow!

Baking a successful batch of sugar cookies is such an honor, and a surprise! I want to thank my mother-in-law. Without her guidance, and shadowing her a couple times as she made them, I wouldn't have been able to competently bake a batch of cookies.

I'd also like to thank the Children's Television Workshop, for providing the original recipe for Cookie Monster Cookie dough that my mother-in-law uses as her recipe.

I would be remiss if I didn't thank my mortgage lender, for getting us the loan for a house with a kitchen big enough to actually bake cookies.

Then there's Williams-Sonoma. Without having worked there, I would never have gotten exposure to the world of foodies. Also, the 20% employee discount helped me to afford kitchen staples that I wouldn't have otherwise.

And, last but not least, I want to thank my black Kitchen-Aid Professional mixer with flames painted on the side. It really came through for me when I needed it to mix up a double-batch of cookie dough, without seizing up or overheating.

You'll like them! You'll really like them!

Cookie Monster Sugar Cookies

3/4 c. softened butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Directions (note, you can also use a stand mixer or an egg beater to mix the dough.)

Put the butter into a bowl; measure and pour sugar over the butter.

Squish the butter and sugar together with a fork or pastry blender until totally blended.

Gently break open each egg, and pour each into mixture in bowl.

Measure and add vanilla; blend mixture with fork again.

Measure and add flour to the mixture in bowl. Measure and add baking powder and salt, and sprinkle each over the top of the flour in the bowl.

Mix it alllll together with the fork, or with Very Clean Hands ;-) Chill the dough for at least an hour (up to 3 days).

On floured surface, roll dough 1/4 " thick and cut into shapes.

Ordinary-sized cookies bake at 400 degrees F for 6-8 minutes.

Nom nom nom!

No comments: