Sunday, December 9, 2007

Apple Pie in a bottle: sweet, sweet success

I was at a holiday party last night, a potluck party, where I got to try some amazing food from a new group of friends. There were some scalloped potatoes to die for, redolent with chicken broth, rosemary, and cheese. A delicious cheesy, crunchy, crab dip. Two great salads--a tomato, mozzarealla and balsamic, and a spinach strawberry. Roasted vegetables. Smoked turkey. Edamame, steamed and sprinkled liberally with sea salt. Sweet and sour meatballs.

What did I bring? Apple Pie in a Bottle. Jayne's Apple Pie in a Bottle to be exact, a recipe I got from Big Damn Chefs. I was, ostensibly, testing the recipe for a recipe review I do for The Signal Podcast, but I was pretty confident in this recipe's ability to shine. The ingredient list includes: vodka, butterscotch schnapps, vanilla schnapps, apple juice, and spices. What's not to like?

This recipe is sweet, smooth, and very, very strong. It was quite the hit at the party. I made a double-batch, so I hope to have the leftovers at my Christmas party this year--I wonder how they'd be heated? Probably pretty toasty (pun intended).

No comments: